Once any holds have been removed from an RTV Order, and the items to be shipped back to the vendor are allocated, the order can be completed or fulfilled – i.e. shipped out to the vendor. This action does not close out the vendor return, it only records the fact that the goods are being shipped to the vendor.
The following actions are performed in order to complete an RTV Order.
• Print the Picklist
• Pick the Items to be Shipped
• Complete the order using the Order Invoicing Program
• Manifest the Shipment
Picklist Printing: The Picklists for Return to Vendor orders are printed using the Picklist Management program. The Picklist Management program allows the operator to select a specific warehouse location and order type and it displays the orders matching those criteria that can be printed and shipped out.
When an RTV order is processed, the Location in the Pick Management program should be set to the location from which the RTV order is being shipped, and the Order Type in the program should be set to Loaner. These actions should cause the RTV order lines to show up in the Picklist Management program. Once the appropriate lines are selected in the program, the operator can print a picklist in order to pick the goods to be sent back to the vendor.
Picking the Items: Once a picklist has been printed for the RTV Order, the warehouse picks and packages the items to be returned to the vendor, noting any discrepancies between the amount on the picklist and the actual quantity picked on the picklist document.
Completing the Order: Once the items to be shipped to the vendor have been partially or fully picked, the operator selects the Order Completion program from the menu and scans or keys in the order number and the ticket number of the order being completed. This action loads the order into the Order Invoicing program. Once the order is loaded, the operator can adjust the quantities being shipped (if necessary) and input the serial number information for any serialized items being processed. Since the completion of an RTV order is not treated as a sale (the items still belong to you), the RTV Invoice document is not included in the AR balance for the RTV customer, and no charges (including freight ) are billed to the vendor at this point.
Manifest the Shipment: Once the operator has entered any required information for the shipment into the Order Invoicing program and presses Save, the system checks the shipping method being used for the order. If the shipping method is an automated method (like UPS, FEDEX or Airborne), and your system is set up for automated shipping, the system will activate the appropriate program to gather the manifest information for the shipment. This information is saved and can be viewed from the Invoice record for the shipment.
As the RTV Order is Invoiced, the system performs the following updates to the database.
• An Invoice Header record is created . The record has an invoice type of OS if the invoice was created from an order. The "RETURN TO VENDOR" customer is stored in the Company field of the invoice. The Ship_Company field in the invoice record is filled in with the company from the ShipTo address used on the order which is also the vendor to which the merchandise is being returned to. Type OS invoices (also known as "shipper" invoices) do not represent a sale The Shippers have amounts but the balance field is set to 0 and Paydate in the record is loaded when the record is created. Shippers are not posted by the Sales Posting programs, nor do they show up on the Cost of Sales Report.
• Invoice Line Items are created for each item shipped out on an RTV invoice as the invoice is saved. The record stores the item number of the item that was shipped, the quantity ordered, shipped, and backordered, and the location that the item was shipped from. "SHIPPER" is stored in the Type field of the record. The current average weighted cost of the item at the time it was invoiced is stored in the Current_Cost field of the record.
• Pending records are created. - The Pending file stores information about items you own which are not currently in one of your inventory locations. Items sent back to vendors are tracked in the Pending file. As each RTV Invoice is processed, a Pending record with a type of V is created for each line item shipped out. Each Pending record stores the item number and quantity shipped, the inventory location the item was shipped from, the companies to whom the merchandise was invoiced and shipped, and the invoice number and sales order number associated with the shipment. The pending records also store the average weighted cost of the item at the time it was shipped, and a status code which is used to indicate whether the record is open or closed. Pending records which are created by RTV processing are assigned a Status of "O" (open), a Type of "V" and a Source of "OC"
• Inventory and Bin Quantities are Updated. - As each item on an RTV invoice is saved, the system updates the on hand and reserved quantities for the item in the location it was shipped out of. The Inventory and Bin allocated quantities are also updated. Inventory Sales Statistics (MTD,QTD,YTD Sales, Quantities, and Costs) are not updated as a sales is not being made.
• Inventory Transaction records are created.. During invoicing records are written to the Inventory Transaction file for each item being shipped to record the movement of the goods out of inventory and back to the vendor Each record stores the item number and quantity shipped, the average weighted cost of the item at the time it was shipped and the previous and new quantity on hand for the item. As these transactions are written the invoice number assigned by the system is recorded in the INV_NO field. The records are written to the Inventory Transaction File with the source "OS"
• Serial Information is updated. During Order Completion, the system requires you to enter the serial numbers for any serialized items being sent back to the vendor. As each RTV invoice is saved, the system updates the status of the serial records for the serialized items being shipped out (the status is changed to L to indicate the item was sent out on a Loaner (i.e. it is being tracked in the Pending file). The system also creates type OS Serial History records to record the shipment of each serial number on the RTV invoice.