The General Ledger applications make use of parameters in the System Control file (File 248). These system parameters are used to control program behavior, restrict access to certain options or data in the application, or store information such as counters, and default values.
Some system parameters are critical to proper system operation and must be properly set up before general ledger processing or other accounting activity may begin. Other parameters can be adjusted after installation. Some parameters that can be adjusted after installation are also identified as user-configurable – meaning that they may be adjusted by the individual users that they apply to (in order to allow the user to set preferences).
System parameters can be set up by user (one operator), by group or branch (groups of operators), or globally (or using combinations of these options). When the system checks for a control record, it first tries to find the user-specific version. If no user specific record is found, the system then checks for a record that applies to the group or branch the operator is assigned to. If no group or branch version of the record is found, the system then uses the global copy of the record.
For more information about system parameter creation and maintenance and the System Control File, please see the System Adminstration Documentation
Note: The individual parameters used by the general ledger programs are documented in the comment records associated with the parameters and this information is not duplicated here. Please also note that some system parameters may apply only to the Console Mode or VDF version of the system, and some parameters may be used by both applications. The extended description or comment associated with each parameter record should indicate if the parameter is used by the Console Mode application, the VDF application, or both applications.
You may view the General Ledger parameters present on your system and a description of how each parameter is used as follows.
Note: Your ability to view or change system parameter information is based on the security information that has been set up for your sytem and for your operator ID.
1. Select the System Adminstration Menu.
2. Select the System Parameter Manager from the Param/Control Files Menu.
3. The System Parameter Manager lists the parameters in the System Control File in a tree view organized by module, then category, then subcategory. You may expand the tree to view or edit the parameters assigned to each category and sub-category.
4. Once a System Parameter record, is highlighted in the System Parameter Tree, you may view or edit the record by Pressing the ENTER key, or by double-clicking the record. At this point, Parameter List is displayed and loaded with the information for the selected parameter. The Parameter list will display all copies (global, group, branch and user specific versions) of the parameter, and it allows you to copy or edit the displayed records.
5. If a comment or extended description for the parameter is present, this description is displayed in the lower section of the panel
Some of the autopost numbers that are assigned to General Ledger "control" accounts must also be entered into the System Control file (file 248). For example, the parameter F248:056S44AR stores the autopost number of the default accounts receivable control account. The A/R Payment Entry program (used to process customer payments for invoices) uses this parameter to determine the A/R account from which customer payments will be deducted. The parameters that are used by each module in the system (A/R, A/P, Inventory, Invoicing) should be set up before processing takes place with those modules. Please see the appropriate configuration guide for a list of the parameters used by each module.
Control File Maintenance
Have Cove Systems personnel or your system administrator enter the appropriate parameters into the System Control file.