When the system is configured to post online, each sales invoice, credit memo and finance charge type invoice is posted to the general ledger as it is saved.
The Post Invoice to GL procedure is used to post sales when you are running in on-line mode. The Post Invoice To GL procedure can be passed an invoice number and it will post the invoice to the General Ledger or display an error message if the invoice cannot be posted.
When the Post Invoice to GL procedure is called, the system verifies that you are running in on-line mode. If the system is configured to post sales in batch mode, the procedure will not process the invoices being passed to it.
If the system is running in on-line mode, the system does the following when the sales posting procedure is called.
• The system verifies the invoice type is OI, DI, IN,CM or FC. If another invoice type is passed to the posting routine, the system will display an invalid type error and it will not post the invoice.
• The system verifies the Postrun field in the invoice is set to 0. The Postrun field stores the journal entry number of the journal entry used to post the invoice and it should be set to 0 if the invoice has not been posted.
• The system verifies the invoice number being processed is less than 90 million. Invoice numbers above 90 million are temp numbers which should not be processed.
• If the invoice being processed is valid, the system prepares a journal entry based on the prices, costs, and other information in the invoice and invoice line item records. The sales, cost of sales and inventory accounts used for each item are based on the product line that each item is assigned to. The product lines store autoposts which point to the GL accounts that should be used for sales posting. Other autopost numbers are obtained from system parameters, or from other places such as the customer record associated with the invoice.
• The system hands the journal entry just created to a standard posting routine, which updates the general ledger account period records for the amounts of each journal entry line.
• The journal entry number used to post the invoice is written to the Postrun field in the invoice record to indicate it has been posted. The journal entry created by the procedure will have a Source of OP (On-line posting).
Online Sales Posting - Error Recovery
The Sales Posting procedure is normally called as each new accounts receivable invoice is saved, but the system also includes a utility that can be used to post a single invoice to the GL. The Post an Invoice to the GL option is included in the AR Utilities program. This option is used to handle situations where the initial sales posting for an invoice was not successful due to bad product line information, or due to another reason. The Post an invoice to the GL option may only be used when your system is configured to post online.
When the The Post an invoice to the GL option is called to post an invoice after the fact, the routine performs the following actions.
• The program checks the Postrun field in the invoice to verify that it is not already loaded. The Postrun field stores the journal entry number used to post the invoice to the GL and it should not be loaded if the invoice has not been posted.
• The program passes the selected invoice number to the sales posting routine, which prepares a journal entry based on the amounts and other information in the invoice.
• The sales posting routine passes the new source OP journal entry created by the program to the Journal Entry posting routine, which updates the account period records for the GL accounts being posted to.
Note: If you attempt to post an invoice using the Post an Invoice to the GL option and the process is not successful, it is likely that the source problem that prevented the invoice from posting has not been corrected. In this case, you should review the invoice header and line item detail, product line setup information and other information associated with the invoice to determine and correct the problem, or contact Cove Systems for assistance. Some information about sales posting error messages is presented in the Reference Section of this document.