The Submit Vendor Name Change program submits a request to the system to update a specific vendor company to a new company name. The program can be used to change an existing vendor name to another unique vendor name. The New Vendor name being submitted must be unique and the new vendor name may not already exist in the Vendor File. The Submit Vendor Name Change program only adds a record to the COCHANGE file, and the vendor history and Vendor Master record are not updated by the system until the Process Vendor Name Change program is executed (this normally happens as part of night time processing).
Vendor name changes are usually performed due to the following reasons.
• The Vendor name was entered incorrectly and the Vendor and any other records in the system for the Vendor need to be updated with the correct name.
• The Vendor Name has changed due to the Vendor being purchased by another company, or the Vendor changing their legal name, or for some other reason.
The StreamV application uses the Vendor Name field as the unique identifier for a specific vendor and the documents and transactions for the vendor. This means that changing the vendor name requires the system to update the vendor record and any other transactions or documents associated with the vendor (contacts, accounts payable invoices, ap checks, purchase orders).. This ensures that the proper documents and transactions remain associated with the vendor record.
Notes on Name Change Processing.
• The Process Vendor Name Change program is normally run after hours to ensure that transactions for the vendor are not being created as the vendor name is updated and to reduce the load on the system during normal operating hours (the process program can update a large amount of data depending on the vendor being processed).
• The Vendor Name is used to print many documents in the system and in many cases is not stored in the document. This means that you may need to print out or make images of original documents in order to be able to reprint them exactly as originally issued. Depending on your legal record keeping requirements you may need to create images of documents before processing name changes or not process name changes at all (by just deactivating and then creating new vendor accounts as necessary).
• The records created by the Submit Vendor Name Change program are processed by the Process Vendor Name Change program. The Process Vendor Name Change program actually updates the history for the vendor – modifying the old vendor name to the new vendor name in all transaction history that is tied to the vendor record. The Process Vendor Name Change program also updates the name of the vendor in the vendor file. The Process Vendor Name Change program is normally run after hours due to the fact that it can modify a lot of data, and to ensure that the vendor information is not being modified as the program is running.
• Automatic Vendor Consolidation is not supported. The informaton for two separate vendors can be combined by qualified using system utility programs It is important to note that once the history for two different vendors has been combined or consolidated, there is NO automatic way to restore the separate detail for the vendor. Therefore, any required history for the two accounts should be printed or otherwise obtained before the name change is processed. The printed information may be the only way to identify the transactions that belonged to each vendor before the name change once the processor has combined them.
Note: The ability to change the case of an existing vendor was dropped from the system due to technical reasons in april of 2006. The uppercase logic in the indexes used on some files would require the program to search through the entire database to change the case in the vendor name.