This section describes how to create a new return authorization using the Returns Management program.
1. Select the Returns Management program from the Return Authorization Mgmt Menu.
2. Use the Insert Button (located on the Standard Toolbar), or the Insert key (when the cursor is positioned in the browse section of the Returns Management program) to activate the Returns Entry/Edit program. The Returns Entry/Edit program is used to specify the items and quantities being returned by the customer.
3. Press the Load Invoice Button. The RA system requires you to identify the items for each return authorization by selecting the invoice that was used for the original sale to the customer. When you select the Load Invoice option, the system checks the status of the ra being processed and then calls the appropriate lookup.
• If a new ra is being created, and no customer has been specified yet (ie no invoices have been selected), the Returns Entry/Edit program activates the Invoices Lookup program. The Invoices Lookup program is a browse based program that displays all of the invoices that have been created on the system – for all customers The Invoices Lookup program allows you to display the invoices in your system using any of the several different sort sequences available in the program, and it also allows you to search for a specific invoice based on the display sequence being used.
• If you have already selected one or more invoices, and the company in the ra has been specified, the system will activate the Customer Invoices Lookup program when the Load Invoice Button is pressed. The Customer Invoice Lookup program displays only the invoices that have been entered for the company on the current ra in order to restrict the lines that can be added to the ra to the invoice lines for the customer being processed.
4. Locate the first customer invoice that contains the items being returned by the customer. You may sequence the Invoices displayed in the Invoices Lookup program by Invoice Number, Sales Rep, Customer Purchase Order, or using any of the other display sequences that are available in the program. You may also view the line item and serial detail for each invoice from the lookup program. Once you have located the correct invoice for the ra being processed, you may select the invoice using the Select Button that is displayed in the lower right section of the Lookup. As you select the invoice to be processed, the system
• Creates RA Lines for the Invoice lines from the selected invoice. The RA Lines will be assigned a temporary number up until the time that the RA is saved.
• Creates an RA Header record for the invoice and copies the invoice header information from the selected invoice (such as the terms, shipping method, shipto address), to the new ra.
• Checks that the serial detail for the invoice is valid. If any of the invoice lines selected for the RA are for serialized items, the system checks the status of each serial record – to verify that it has a status of S (sold) and that the owner of the record matches the company in the ra being processed. If the serial records are not available or the company in the serial record does not match the ra company, the system displays an error message.
• Updates the serialized inventory detail associated with the selected invoice lines. The serial records for the ra lines are updated with the current ra and ra line item when the ra is saved. This allows the system to determine when a serialized item is already being returned and has been entered on another ra, and it also links the serial numbers from the selected invoice line or lines to the ra lines being created.
• Displays any Inventory Returns Comments that have been entered for the items on the RA. Inventory Returns comments are a special type of inventory comment (with a line number of 1201) that is used to store returns processing information about the item.
• Defaults the return and replace values, and the commission cost field in each ra line based on the price and commission cost in the selected invoice line. If any special pricing or rebate information was used on the original invoice, the commission cost in the ra line will be net of any rebates.
5. Add any additional ra lines from other invoices for the RA customer to the return – if necessary. When you select the Load Invoices Button in the RA Entry/Edit program, and ra lines are already displayed in the program, the system activates the Customer Invoice Lookup program and it loads the program with the invoices that have been processed for the customer specified in the ra being processed. You may use the Customer Invoice Lookup to view detailed information about each invoice displayed in the program (including the serialized item detail associated with each invoice line) and to select the invoice lines to be loaded into the RA Entry/Edit program. As ra line items are created, the system performs the same steps that were listed in the previous step.
6. Edit the ra line item quantities as required. As each invoice is selected, the system defaults the quantity from each invoice line into the ra lines that are created, and it automatically links the serial detail (if any) for the invoice line to the ra line. Once the ra lines have been created, you should should edit the quantities to match the quantity actually being returned by the customer.
7. Update the serial detail for the ra line items based on the quantity adjustments done in the prior step. Since the system automatically links the serial detail from each selected invoice line to the ra lines you create, you should modify the serial numbers associated with each serialized line when you edit the quantity in the line. This is done using the Serial Numbers option that is available in the Returns E
8. Save the RA. Once you have added the line i