The StreamV applications allow system administrators to implement multiple different types or levels of system security. The system security options that are available include
• Operator Level Security – Each operator is assigned a specific ID and password to ensure their activity can be tracked, and their access can be controlled. Each operator is also assigned a numeric option level that can be used to control access to specific applications or features. Programs and other objects (menus, buttons) can be restricted based on individual operators, groups or operators, or based on the option level that has been assigned to the operator. level.
• System-wide Menu Security – StreamV includes a standard menu – listing the main modules, or program groups, and it also includes MyCove and MyGroup Menus that can be customized for a specific operator or group of operators. A System policy can be used to prevent one or more operators from accessing the Main Menu system. This option allows you the system administrator to limit the programs each operator can access to the items on their MyCove and/or MyGroup menu.
• Menu Security – Individual Menu Items can be restricted so that only specified operators or groups can access them. This option is actually enabled using the Program Access Security Option
• Program Security / Program Access Security – Individual programs can be restricted so that only specified operators or groups of operators can access them. As each program is selected from the menu systems (Main or MyCove, MyGroup menus), the application checks for security access records for the program. If access records are present, the system allows or blocks access to the program based on the operator id, option level, group or branch. The Program security option allows you to block access to each program any time it is called (if the same program can be activated from multiple places in the system, the security settings will apply in all cases).
• Panel Security – Individual Objects such as buttons, and panels in specific programs, can be restricted so that only specified operators or groups of operators can access them. As each button, panel or other object in each program is selected, the application checks for security access records for the object. If access records are present, the system allows or blocks access to the object based on the operator id, option level, group or branch. The Panel security option allows you to block access to the specific object any time it is called (if the same program option is available from multiple places, the security setting will apply in all cases).
• Program Option Security – StreamV allows you to control access to specific features in each program using System Policies or System Parameters (FVPAR records). The Program option security options are typically used to limit the types of transactions that can be performed in each program.. Program options can normally be set by user or by group. Program security options are specific to each program and are described in the documentation for each program.
• File Level Security – File Level Security Allows you to block specific users from saving new records in specific data files in the database, or to grant some users read only or view only access to critical information like customers or catalog records. For example: File level security can be used to block a specific user from creating a new vendor while allowing the same user to edit existing vendors in the same program.
• Field Level Security – Field Level Security allows you to restrict access to specific Data fields in each data file. Sensitive or critical information in master records such as payment terms, credit limits, and credit card information can be restricted, while still allowing the same operator access to other fields in the same records. Data fields can be set to Allow Edit, Allow View Only, and to Not Visible. The field security option can be used along with the new record default option to allow operators to set up new records while still restricting access to critical information. For example, you could default terms of COD CASH and a Credit Limit of 0 into new customer records, and block the fields for specific operators. The operators would be able to create new customers (add the name, address, phone and other information), but they would not be able to set/change the credit limit or terms for the new customer record.
The StreamV security options can be enabled individually, or a combination of the options may be used – depending on the needs of the site running the application.
The following sections describe the various security options in more detail. Combining the options to meet your needs can be a simple or more complex task depending on the number of users on the system, and the number of levels or layers of security that are required to meet your goals.